The Pavilion of the Communist Terror was inaugurated in 2012.
In this pavilion are displayed documents, photographs and objects, which belong to the period of one-party system in Albania from 1945 to 1990.
These objects belonged to different churches in Albania: Gjirokastra, Elbasani, Fieri, Berati etc., dating from the 16th century until the early 19th century.
Almost all the best painters who have left impressive works in the churches of Albania, Macedonia and Greece, such as: Onufri, Onufër Qiprioti, David Selenica, Kostandin Shpataraku, Kostandin Jeromonaku, the Zografi brothers, the Çetiri brothers, and Mihal Anagnosti are represented in this pavilion.
A collection of 70 items of the Post-Byzantine art in Albania: icons, a proskynetarion, some pairs of Holy Doors and an iconostasis are on display in this pavilion.
Above the entrance of the museum is a large mural mosaic titled The Albanians that depicts purported ancient to modern figures from Albania's history.
The Pavilion of Antiquity is the most important and one of the richest with objects in the National Historical Museum, with 585 objects.
It shows the reaction of several Albanian intellectuals in the ’20-s and ’30-s against the rise to power in Italy of fascism.
Chronologically, the pavilion displays the ensuing events related to the installation of the fascist regime in Albania on 7 April 1939 and the beginning of organized antifascist resistance.