The business was large and successful, and Frederick Buhl remained at the helm until 1887, when he sold the business to his son.In addition to his furrier business, Frederick Buhl was the director of two banks, the president of Harper Hospital, and one of the original directors of the Merchant's Exchange and Board of Trade.He was a successful merchant, and served in a number of other capacities, including as one of the first trustees of the University of Michigan, was president of the Detroit Board of Education, and was a delegate to the first Michigan Constitutional Convention.He moved to Detroit in 1819 to become of Receiver of Public Monies, a post he held for 30 years.Since 1966, the official residence of the Mayor of Detroit has been the Manoogian Mansion, located on Dwight Street in the Berry Subdivision Historic District, facing the Detroit River on the city's east side.
Governor William Hull and Judge Augustus Woodward dissolved the original incorporation, replacing it in 1806 with a government headed by an appointed mayor.
Douglass Houghton was educated as a medical doctor, but after coming to Michigan served as the state geologist from 1833 until his death in 1845, and as a geology professor at the University of Michigan.
He was also a member of the National Institute in Washington DC and the Boston Society of Natural History, an honorary member of the Royal Antiquarian Society of Copenhagen, and a member of many other scientific and literary associations.
Henry Howard moved to Detroit in 1827 to manage Howard and Wadhams, a commercial lumber venture.
In his brief tenure in Detorit, he served as an alderman and mayor for one term, as well as the treasurer and auditor general of the state of Michigan.